Links to sources of information - non-engineering
Government documents, dictionaries, language translations, travel, maps, telephone directories, etc
- Acronym Finder
Over 161,000 acronyms, abbreviations, initialisms and definitions.
Acronyms, abbreviations and initialisms about all subjects, including information technology, telecommunications, military, government, and much more.
- A complete interactive world atlas on the Web Click on the world map, or enter the name of a city, town or village. Zoom in on any part of that map, by clicking on the area you wish to see in more detail, or look at a new area. Scale indicator.
- EURO Information Information on all aspects of the EURO
- My Virtual Reference Desk Source of general information.
- Interlinks Help you navigate the Internet and find useful resources quickly and efficiently. Provided as a public service. No advertising.
- Excellent Links by John C. Dvorak
Company/People Finders - Computer Companies/Support - Computer News - Computer Software - Entertainment -
Free Email/WEB pages - Good Reading/Misc - News Related - Reference & Special sites - Search Engines -
Starting Points/Metasite - Travel.
- Free Translations Instant translations - by Babel Fish
English to and from French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian.
Copy using [ctrl] C - and paste using [ctrl] P
- Dictionary.com A powerful dictionary - AND Other Dictionaries - German, Greek, Latin, Spanish; more. AND Writing Resources - Usage, style and more.
- Webster's Dictionary This famous dictionary needs no introduction.
- Laixcon Web based Dictionary - Deutsch-Englisches technisches W rterbuch- German-English technical dictionary
Also Links to many other List of dictionaries and glossaries - Liste von W rterb chern und Glossaren.
- TRIP.com Internet-based travel planning and reservation service for the mobile professional.
FlightTracker, Someone you know taking a cross-atlantic flight ? Check their flight position, speed, altitude, direction and ETA at any time during their flight.
intelliTRIP, the revolutionary travel search tool.
Destination guides - Maps - Airport guides - World clock - etc.
Round-the-clock reservation capabilities, city, restaurant and hotel information, as well as 24-hour personalized customer service.
- Industry Research Desk Industry research, business research, company research, and manufacturing process research can be done on-line with tools and procedures provided here. Business, industry, company, companies, factories, research, data, facts, information, manufacturing, manufacturing processes, SIC codes, NAICS, census data, Census, government information, and industry profiles.
|USA Official Documents
- Library of Congress Library of Congress Online Catalog - Other Libraries Online Catalogs - Other LC Research Tools - LC Publications
|UK - Phone Numbers and Postcodes
- <Telephone Numbers in the UK - British Telecom Enter the Name of the business or person you are looking for and the Area in which they reside, then press the relevant search button.
- UK National Telephone Code and Number Change. The UK's telephone numbering system has been reorganised. This site contains important information for anyone who uses a telephone in the UK or calls the UK from abroad.
- UK Post codes Enter address and find the post code, or enter post-code and house number, and find the address.
Telephone Directories on the Web; UK Yellow Pages; Scoot; UK Electronic Yellow Pages;
Thomson Directories; UK White (Residential) Pages; BT UK Phone Directory;UK Numbering System;
UK Telephone Code Locator; UK Telephone, Fax and Email Preference Service; UK Telcos;
BT; Energis; Kingston Communications (Hull); Kingston Business Communications; NTL;
ADSL Guide; Beginner's Guide to ADSLThus Telecommunications (formerly Scottish Telecom)
UK Internet Service Providers - List of UK ISPs and comparative test results from Internet Magazine
Government, Regulatory and Standards Bodies
Office of Telecommunications (OFTEL); European Telecommunications Office
Has a page of links to regulatory bodies around the world; International Telecommunications Union;
European Telecommunications Standards Institute
|UK - Maps, Travel, and directories
- Enter a post code and get a detailed map UK Multimap Just click on the UK outline map to start browsing. Or enter the name of a British city, town or village, street name (London only) or post code to get a detailed map. You can then zoom in on any part of that map, just by clicking on the area you wish to see in more detail, or you can choose to look at a new area.
- UK street and place map Address searching and street map facilities for the UK. Street maps for Greater London and road atlas maps for the whole of mainland Britain
- UK Railway timetables etc Lots of useful information. LIke how to get from A to B.
- The TrainLine Find out times, book tickets, and reserve seats for any train operator in mainline UK
Three excellent budget motel accommodation. Information and booking facilities.
- Smooth Hound's Hotel List A Selection of Hotels and Guest, many offering exclusive discounts.
- Directory enquiries UK on-line Enter the Name of the business or person you are looking for and the Area in which they reside, then press the relevant search button.
|UK - Official Documents
- British Official Pubs
- Acts of Parliament
- Open Government
UK Government Information Service
- The Home Office
The Home Office web site. Key subjects as the first part of a major redesign project. With A-Z index.
- The British Library
- British Official Publications Current Awareness Service
- H.S.M.O. Acts of Parliament - Statutory Instruments - Parliament Information - etc.
- Inland Revenue
News and information on tax and national insurance matters in the United Kingdom.
The Inland Revenue is responsible, under the overall direction of Treasury Ministers, for the efficient administration of income tax, tax credits, corporation tax, capital gains tax, petroleum revenue tax, inheritance tax, national insurance. contributions and stamp duties. The Department's job is to provide an effective and fair tax service to the country and Government.
- Inland Revenue
IR35: Countering Avoidance in the Provision of Personal Services
- Euro Preparations UNIT Information, guidance, and links.
- Companies House Companies House has two main functions: - the incorporation, re-registration and striking off of companies and the registration of documents required to be filed under companies, insolvency and related legislation; - the provision of company information to the public. Click on the "free information" and can check company status, accts, and disqualified directors.
- The Patent Office Lots of information available on-line.
- The Met.Office Check out the UK weather - - Flash warnings - weater view of the world from 36 000 km - and lots more.